Summer (June, July, August)
- Trim and shape fast-growing hedges, making sure there are no birds nesting.
- Plant out summer bedding.
- Plant up hanging baskets and containers.
- Install watering systems to ensure plants are well watered.
- Prune spring-flowering shrubs once they’ve flowered and remove older wood to encourage new growth.
- Liquid-feed lawns to improve condition.
- Keep on top of weeding.
- Apply weedkiller to driveways and graveled areas.
- Treat decking and wooden garden furniture to prevent drying out.
- Liquid-feed summer bedding and container plants.
- Dead-head roses, bedding plants and flowering perennials.
- Check for bugs and pests on foliage and treat accordingly.
- Collect seeds of early-flowering plants and take cuttings of evergreens.
- Cut lawns weekly, but don’t go too short if there’s little rainfall.
- Aerate lawns and apply lawn sand.
- Keep lawns well watered.
- Keep ponds clear of weed.
- Plant bulbs for autumn flowering.
- Feed trees and shrubs.
- Keep hedges trimmed in preparation for autumn.
- Keep deadheading to maintain flowering.
- Keep container plants well fed and watered.
- Prune roses after flowering to encourage new growth.
- Clip lavender after flowering to keep compact.
- Take cuttings of tender perennials.